Tuesday, March 31, 2009

MFT Idol Top 8 Entry ~ Jewelry Set

Well here we are, week 3 of the MFT Idol Competition and let me tell you, it's getting tougher and tougher to come up with new and interesting ideas each week! I did, however, have my EUREKA moment Sunday morning while watching my DD play with a new toy she just bought at the Dollarama...shrinky dinks!! I bought some shrinky dink paper about 2 years ago with the intention of stamping on it and making something really cool...did I mention this was TWO years ago!! Lol!! Well now was my chance!

Our challenge this week was to use the BRAND SPANKIN' NEW April set Girls Night Out and make something with that theme! This set will be available tomorrow night at 10PM EST @ MFT !!

So I was thinking to myself...what does a girl need when she's going out?!? ACCESSORIES!!! Jewelry is an absolute must and nothing tops an outfit off better than a sweet designer handbag!!! And so my entry was born!




I used that awesome Rockabilly Specialty paper from SU! I LOVE it and will definitely be ordering more, if for nothing else, to keep me from hoarding it!! The card is a combination of all the papers I used on the rest of the project to keep it all matchy-matchy! The ladies' champagne glasses are done in CE and that fun flower is from the Pretties kit (another thing I tend to hoard)!

I had SO much fun creating this jewelry! I learned how to make paper beads a while back and tend to make them every chance I get (they are great on those little corner bookmarks)! If you've never made them before, simply cut a thin strip of dp on an angle, apply adhesive (leave the part that will create the hole dry) roll into a bead and then add some sort of paper glaze to them to give them that 'finished' look! I've had the intention of making jewelry with them forevah and I bought the stuff I would need to do that a looong time ago (it's no wonder my room is a disaster!) I'm glad I did though as it sure came in handy this week!
I made the charms by stamping the 'drinks' on to Shrinky Dink paper, colored, punched the holes and 'shrunk'! I was thrilled to see how well it worked...I am lovin' me that stuff!!!
The bracelet fastens by a magnet...so cool! The display thingy is from my Mom...she collects/sells vintage jewelry and she gave me some displayed on one of these! Thanks Mom!





I have been hoarding my Purse Die-Cuts that were available from SU! a few years back!! I've been saving them for a special occasion and I figured the Idol contest was pretty special so I hauled one out! The groovy textured paper is from a pack I got from the $ store...I thought it was perfect for this!! The handle is two pieces of ribbon stitched together and I made a really cool gift tag for it that you can see in the pic of the whole set! Added some bling (Ok...lotsa bling) and called it done!! This will be the box that holds the jewelry when I give it away! Seriously...who WOULDN'T want custom made MFT jewelry?!?!
So I guess that's it for this week! You can find the MFT Ido Top 8 Gallery here! I can't wait to see what the other contestants have come up with...and if you haven't had a chance...check out the Judges Gallery...they are ON FIRE this week!!
Please come out and vote! (preferably for ME!! ;)) The POLL will open at 10pm EST on Tuesday (tonight) and will be open until 10pm EST Wednesday night! Remember that you can vote for as many entries as you like but you can only vote once!
Supplies Used
Stamps ~ Girls Night Out-MFT
Paper ~ Rockabilly Specialty dp, RHR, $ store, textured black paper, Neenah Solar Crest
Ink ~ Momento
Accessories ~ Die Cut Purse-SU!, Ribbon, Nesties, Pretties flowers, beads, Crystal Effects, jewelry hardware (Walmart), bling, brads, punches, jump rings, shrinky dink paper, , Top Note die, eyelets...um...I think that's it!
If you have any questions regarding this project or any others please feel free to ask...somtimes I forget to add important details!!

4 comments:

  1. SHUT UP! This rocks Joycelyn! WOW! I am so glad you got a blog! You are such a talented stamper!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your new blog!! Great job--I look forward to coming back often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Joy this is fantastic! I love the jewelery, so clever. And yes you do hoard stuff... hee hee But its worth it, look at this. Fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable and I love it. I have a stupid question LOL. What size are your square cards - they are so beautiful and seem so perfect! I would love to know :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!